Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Fruits of the Sea



I went to Norma-Jean's salon today for a fitting of my new jacket. Xavier came along with me. I am very happy with how it is coming along. Xavier says he will make me a new mask to match the colours in the jacket which is really very kind of him. I think I will ask Ariadne if Xavier can come along to the Ball on Saturday as he has been a bit down and I feel partly responsible, confronting him about his work as I did the other day. Norma-Jean picked up on his mood too (well, Xavier's moods are rather transparent and he was looking disconsolately and rather unsettlingly at her goldfish) and offered to do a reading for him. Well this perked him up
"YES" he cried "Guidance from the Ether! A Sign from the Cosmos" He was all attention as Norma-Jean lit the candle, drew the curtains and settled herself before the great tome, The Constance Spry Cookery Book. As Norma-Jean entered the trance state Xavier's eyes grew as round as dinner plates. Her finger descended as before, spearing the page like a trident.
"Pilaff Aux Fruits De Mer" she intoned. Xavier craned forward to see. She had pointed to a delicious sounding dish incorporating white wine, shallots, prawns and mushrooms with rice.
"The sea" Norma-Jean said "You must seek refreshment by the sea"
"Yes, yes, yes" replied Xavier, a new light in his eyes. "The sea, the sea. I will take my inspiration from the sea". Of course his reading related to the block he has been experiencing with his work (when is it ever about anything else with Xavier?). We left there in good spirits planning a visit to Xavier's favourite beach. "It is the first beach along the coast from the city which retains the wild spirit" he says. I will see if I can find some more pieces to add to my collection.

No comments: