Wednesday, May 02, 2007

An Axolotyl's Dream

The Anonymous Patron has summoned me to his lair at the Gentleman's Club 'Stag on the Moor'. I must admit a certain degree of trepidation. I have not as yet furnished him with a proposal for another film, though I do have a vision.
All thoughts of film making must stand aside for the spectacle, the undertaking, the broo ha ha that is the wedding of my friend Xavier to his bride Ariadne. I am to be Xavier's best man, I am proud to say, and am also assisting Ariadne in her quest for the perfect costume statement. Well her recent comment will give some idea what this latter task involves,
“Found dear friend, this is not merely a dress, or rather, the notion of 'dress' is to be pushed into territory so new and exciting as to stretch the parameters of that word to their limits, where 'dress' dissolves into something else and offers the viewer a farther vista, a new Universe forever changed. For it is not just a dress, it is a moment, a gift, an offering to my sweet Xavier of all that he is and is to me...”
Well, the farther vista, the vast Universe, the archetypal statement are our themes and Ariadne is our canvas. Norma Jean and I have been spending some time together armed with pin cushions and sturdy sewing scissors, pattern making paper and colour charts. We find ourselves wondering whether papier mache can be fashioned finely enough? Do we need an expert on beading? What are the mathematical equations that govern the flow of waterfalls? Where can one find inexpensive aquamarine sequins? How to transpose the exact dimensions of Philip Astley's famous Circus, whether the original 62 foot or the later 42 foot?
Through it all Hieronymous is our faithful watch Axolotyl. He seems preternaturally engaged in the whole procedure, watching us from his tank as we work at Norma Jean's friendly kitchen table. When I remarked as much Norma Jean replied,
“Oh yes, Hieronymous reincarnated from the 18th Century and was in fact a milliner, so he takes quite an interest in my sewing” whereupon I replied that he was rather fortunate to be living with a person whose interests so mirrored his own.
“Indeed” said Norma Jean “although you know these things are rarely accidental”
Later as I prepared myself for sleep in my rooms, I found myself pondering whether life as an Axolotyl in Norma Jean's kitchen represented a karmic back or forward step and decided she is such a dear woman it could only be the latter.

No comments: