Sunday, July 23, 2006

Contemporary Art Tonic
Xavier and I went to the Biennale today, a grand contemporary art event, and stood transfixed before this art work, Asian Field 2003 by Antony Gormley. Each of these little clay figures, 180,000 in total, is a unique object, crafted by 350 people of the Xiangshan village in southern China. These people were photographed, each with one of their figures and displayed alongside the field.

Here was a work that did not need explication to move and move deeply, the mind and the heart and the eye.

Art is just so good for you. It's a tonic. The more you give it the more you get back.

Xavier took this photo of me, though he said he felt uncomfortable doing so. Then he wept, overcome by the presence of the work. Finally I had to usher him into the lift as the security person began to look a little nervous.

Xavier found a small black plastic sword on the road and gave it to me with great ceremony. He said I was to consider it a symbolic weapon in my battle with Unbeing. It was quite perceptive of him, for though I sometimes appear to have a smile permanently plastered on my face, I actually do get a little care worn at times.

No comments: