Friday, July 21, 2006

The Mall

I awoke muddy headed. My rooms were dismal, the sky was grey, the world was a bland and washed out place. Every window seemed to hold the reflection of Unbeing laughing at me. Of course when I turned around he wasn't there.
So I went to the mall. I find the mall soothing. The hum of noise, the lack of cars, the sense of timeless commerce. I wandered, I drifted, I stared for a bit too long at a beautiful girl with long straight shining hair and very pale skin.

Then there it was before me, a vision in pink neon, an orgy of chocolate sprinkles, a rainbow of iced circles, trays gleaming, shimmering sugary heaven. Jam filled, chocolate coated, deep fried, dripping delights.
Yes I was in a state over Ernestine and I was comfort eating. I was going back for my third order when Xavier was suddenly there pointing a camera in my face. 'For ART!' he cried, 'For your Blog!' he hooted, 'Express your Pain!' he bellowed. An old lady at the next table looked myopically at us and I heard her telling her son 'There's a new flavour called a Blog. I want to try that.'
Being my old friend Xavier knew exactly where I'd be. He did me the favour of not pointing out that he had warned me against getting involved with Ernestine.
We wandered around, had a nice lunch of eggplant sambal with rendang curry and rice, drank green tea. Xavier went into a ritzy men's boutique and demanded to see a hat in the window. The sales assistant pretended not to hear him. So Xavier raised his voice. The young man lowered his gaze and raised his eyebrows when he saw Xavier. Xavier, furious, called him a snorty little popinjay. Needless to say Xavier didn't end up trying on the hat. I think he did it to cheer me up. Which it did.

No comments: