Thursday, August 31, 2006

Marvelous Yoga


I have taken up yoga. Iyengar yoga to be exact. Hugo is a teacher of the art and invited me to come along to his class. It was marvelous. I felt so invigorated and yet relaxed afterwards. All my internal organs were sort of 'resettled', muscles unkinked and tensions dissolved. I tried to do a hand stand like the others in the class but Hugo came rushing over and cautioned me that I was not ready for advanced postures yet. Just as well really, I was getting into a bit of a tangle and in danger of toppling into the man next to me. Embarrassingly there was a little 'eruption' on my part during the Downward Dog pose (the unfortunate result of a too heavy lunch involving chickpea salad). Hugo exclaimed 'Better out than in' in his hearty voice. My fellow practitioners were all very discrete about it.
The other students were somewhat serious and rather territorial about their particular spot in the room. Obviously one has to persist to 'earn one's place'.
Hugo also mentioned that his mysterious Patron has suggested another Soiree event and has invited Xavier and myself to collaborate on an artwork. Now I am thrilled and honoured to take part but I must confess, a little apprehensive about working with Xavier. He is extremely enthusiastic and we are meeting for lunch to discuss ideas and aesthetic directions. Fascinating as I find his current obsession with all things nautical I do hope he will not fixate on it exclusively. I fear he may as his parting remark was
'You may now address me as Admiral Xavier when we meet. Just wait till you see my hat'.
What's next? Medals?

No comments: