Friday, September 08, 2006

Norma Jean Cooks Chicken Soup



I have had a rather unpleasant head cold. I was giddy with fever in the dark hours of the night and I saw the Roly Poly Chime Ball light up with an eerie blue glow. I called Norma Jean to ask her about this phenomenon and she came over the next day. She made me tea with lemon and honey and chicken soup to which I credit my recovery (see recipe below).
She stayed on into the afternoon to keep me company and so was there at 4.30 when my daily soap opera came on. I do enjoy my soap opera, it marks the turn to evening in my daily routine. It is deliciously improbable and convoluted, and whilst I am the first to admit it is preposterous, I was a little put out by Norma Jean's mockery, delivered as a running commentary throughout the program. 'What's this person called? Persimmon Flake, Anchor Chain, Neon Bulb?' she cackled. The nomenclature is often ludicrous, it's true, yet Norma Jean could not be persuaded to watch the program with Surrealist glasses, to applaud the Daliesque grotesquerie of it as the plot melts into absurdity like his famous clock.
As to the Chime Ball, she held it for a good ten minutes, eyes half closed and murmuring. She says the 'mystic entity' is not to be feared and was simply introducing itself. She says I am to call it Bruno.
Chicken Soup
Wash one whole chicken and put into half a saucepan of water. Clean two onions, two or three small potatoes, three large zucchinis and four or five carrots. Add to the chicken with salt and bring to the boil. When cooked, remove the chicken and the vegetables, saving the soup. Mash the vegetables. The chicken meat can be saved for sandwiches, curries etc. Sieve the soup and add the mashed vegetables to it with half a cup of rice and put on a low heat. Cook till the rice is soft. Add the juice of one or two lemons (to your taste) and some freshly ground pepper. Serve with a kind heart.

No comments: