Monday, July 17, 2006




Self portraits and bubblegum
I love these bubblegum machines. Just after Xavier took this photo two children tumbled up, coins in hand and great joy ensued when bubblegum was acquired. It seemed to me the act of engaging with this wonderful structure full of shape and colour was more thrilling than the sweetie itself. I remember that being the case. The bubblegum, wondrous in itself, is more of a consolation for the finish of the fun of actually putting the coin in and turning the handle, clunk, and the sweetie drops in the slot. What more satisfaction for little monkey fingers?
Imagine an urban Eden with a big round dome full of apples, a snake twisting round the pedestal, a coin in the slot, a turn of the handle and down drops the apple into your upturned palm.
I attach too a rather touching self portrait painted by Xavier. He calls it 'I am Xavier King of Hearts'. Poor fellow, he's well meaning but unlucky in love.

No comments: