Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Xavier the painter

Another portrait by Xavier. He calls it 'My Friend found objects man'. The enigmatic little jester must have some bearing on how Xavier sees me. I feel he has made me look a little older than I really do. Nevertheless I rather like it.
Xavier cooked us a very hearty chicken and lemon soup as a thank you for my posing for the portrait. I have to say he was quite a cantankerous person to be painted by. He kept exhorting me not to move, swearing at his brushes, shining the light in my eyes. He made me sit for HOURS and he had me try on at least six different outfits before finally deciding. And then, to top it all off, I had to pick up the pieces when he had minor hysterics after he'd finished.

'It's not what I had hoped for', 'It's dreadful', 'I'm hopeless' and so on.
I decided he needed some fresh air so we walked, despite bad weather, to his favourite cafe.
Here we had excellent coffee and delicious gelato in a warm and friendly place, all decked out in Italian flags still celebrating the World Cup victory. Xavier calmed down and was cheerful by the time I went home.

No comments: