Thursday, September 28, 2006

Engaged in a Search for the Ring

Xavier says I have been lapse in my posting with all the tweaking and experimentation I have been doing on my Blog. He has a point. This as we went to find a ring for Ariadne. Xavier spurned the large (and suspect) jewellery franchise shops. He was very particular about what sort of ring he wanted and consequently we spent the whole day going from one antique jewellery shop to the next like worker bees gathering crystal nectar for the Queen. He adopted a fatalistic approach to engagement ring purchase saying 'I'll know it when I see it.' Of course Xavier persisted on looking outside his budget and I kept having to provide a note of caution. One such was a confection in white gold with a rose diamond and border of tiny sapphires. Xavier alarmed the shop assistant, a sweet lass called Molly, by bursting into floods of tears when he saw it and saying 'This is it, this is it'. She then gained the impression that I was buying a ring for Xavier, which notion was difficult to dislodge as he clung to my arm weeping and saying 'I must have it! I must have it!'
Finally, exasperated and demoralised we sat in a city cafe as the crowds rushed by. Before he could become too maudlin I suggested he have a ring designed and made just for Ariadne. Well this idea was a big hit and he rose from his chair, inflated, saying 'I know just who to ask' and promptly exited the cafe! I was then obliged to pay for our two Vienna coffees and chocolate mud cake (yes we did binge a little, jewellery shopping is very depleting you know). He was a distant figure way down the street, Admiral's plume waving above the crowd (he insists on wearing his nautical hat everywhere, hence the somewhat dubious attitude of several jewellery merchants). In short, I made my way home alone and still have not heard the outcome, nor who this mysterious would-be ring designer might be.

No comments: